Canada Study Permit

You require a study permit if any one of the following is true:

  • You are engaging in study at an educational institution in Canada for a period of more than six months.
  • You plan to undertake employment on the campus of the institution in which you are enrolled, even if your study is less than six months.
  • If there is a possibility that you might stay in Canada to pursue further studies after your short course has finished.
  • If undertaking a program, normally longer than six months (such as a semester of a bachelor degree) which is not part of an official student exchange.

You do not require a study permit if:

Your course of study is less than six months (however, check with the institution in Canada you plan to attend to confirm its study permit policy).

Applying for a Study Permit

  • Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from the institution in Canada that you plan to attend. This letter must include:
    • the name of the institution
    • confirmation of your acceptance and/or registration as a student
    • the course of study
    • the duration of the academic program
    • the registration deadline.

Submit your completed application form for studying in Canada and all of the relevant documentation with a non-refundable processing fee.