Working in Canada

Under certain conditions, you may be able to work in Canada. Students who do not have a study permit are not eligible to work in Canada. Provided you hold a study permit, you can work on the campus of any publicly funded, degree granting institution that you are attending (no separate work permit is required). The employer can be the institution, the faculty, a student organisation, a private business or a private contractor providing services to the campus. This provision also allows for working as a graduate, research or teaching assistant at an ‘off campus site’ that has a formal affiliation with the institution (e.g. teaching hospitals, clinics or research institutes).

Off Campus Work

The following students are ineligible for off-campus work:

  • part-time students
  • visiting or exchange students
  • students who come to Canada under the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan or under the Government of Canada Awards Program
  • students enrolled in English as a Second Language or French as a Second Language programs
  • students receiving funding from the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
  • students who have previously held an off-campus work permit and failed to maintain their eligibility or comply with the conditions of their work or study permit.