Study Visa for Germany

If you wish to take up studies in Germany, you will need a visa for entry (residence permit in the form of a visa). A visa is absolutely necessary under the immigration laws there; the only exceptions are for applicants from European Union countries and from states with which special agreements have been made: Honduras, Iceland, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and the USA.

It is not permissible to enter the country on a tourist visa for the purpose of studying here. Those wishing to enter the country to study may apply for a visa for purposes of study, or for a study applicant visa.

The visa must be issued before you can enter the country; you should therefore apply for it in good time. The responsible body is the German Embassy or Consulate General in your country, which can also provide you with further information.

The visa with regard to purposes of study is going to be issued for those who have already been accepted to review in Germany. The study candidate visa (Studienbewerber-Visum) lets you enter the country prior to the admission decision by the university, in order to acquire information at that moment. The university applicant visa is specially important for applicants towards the Hochschule für Musik as well as Theater (University of Music as well as Drama), to be able to enter the country for that entrance examination. And this kind of visa may also be helpful to applicants who would like to improve their vocabulary skills in Germany before beginning their studies. The research applicant visa is restricted to three several weeks, but it could be converted to the visa for study purposes should you receive your entrance from the university during this time period.

For both kinds of visas it's important to hold the valid passport, to supply proof of financial opportinity for your period associated with study in Indonesia, and to possess either university entrance (visa with regard to purposes of research) or a minimum of a confirmation of the status as a job candidate (study candidate visa).

Those who plan to study and enter the nation on a research applicant visa also needs to note that they have to provide evidence of a university place in Germany inside the prescribed period of 3 months, in order to acquire a residence permit with regard to study purposes.


Applying for Visas for Academic Studies or Language Courses in Germany

In order to receive your visa in good time, please note the following three points:

  • 1. Submit your application with all accompanying documents at least eight weeks before your planned trip to Germany;
  • 2. Fill in the application form and bring it with the complete set of documents to the Embassy;
  • 3. Should you have any queries, please contact the Cultural Section at the Embassy in Singapore, which is responsible for your area.

You may be issued with one of three types of visa:

1) student applicant visa (if you do not yet have a certificate of admission to higher education or of confirmation of application);

2) student visa (if you have a certificate of admission to higher education or of confirmation of application);

3) visa for participation in a language course (if you only wish to attend a language course in Germany).

N.B.: If you intend to begin studies in Germany immediately after your language course ends, you must apply for either a student visa or a student applicant visa before arrival in Germany, otherwise you will have to leave Germany at the end of the course and reapply from Singapore. The visa for a language course cannot be converted into a student visa or a student applicant visa in Germany!

1) For the student applicant visa you will need the following basic documents:

  • a valid passport and 2 passport photographs;
  • proof of possession of a school leaving certificate, i.e. A-level certificate, entitling you to study in both Singapore and Germany (or to visit a preparatory course in Germany)

as well as, where necessary

  • proof of previous studies;
  • proof that you already possess German-language skills or that you plan to attend an intensive language course (at least 20 hours per week) in Germany;
  • proof of sufficient funds to finance your period of study.

You may either

a) finance yourself or

b) nominate one or more persons who will assume the full costs.

You must supply evidence that sufficient funds per months or a sum covering at least one year's study are available (e.g. own funds) equal to the highest German student loan level (BaföG), i.e. currently about DM 1,000 per month.

N.B.: As a student in Germany you may as a rule work for a maximum of 3 months and, depending on where you study, only during recess periods (e.g. semester holidays).

(1) If you are financed by a sponsor in your home country, that person must declare his/her willingness to cover all your costs during the standard period of study (proof of a minimum monthly income of 4,000 S$ (by means of local documents such as tax receipts, bank statements, certificates of employment, pay slips, Commercial Register excerpts).

(2) If you are financed by a sponsor in Germany, that person must submit a binding declaration that he/she is willing to cover all your costs during the standard period of study.

(3) If you receive a scholarship you must produce a letter of confirmation to this effect.

In all cases it must be certain that you will have a monthly sum available to you directly in Germany.

2) For the student visa you will in principle need all documents listed under 1) above, except that

- instead of the school leaving certificate, i.e. A-level certificate, you must enclose the certificate of admission to higher education or of confirmation of application.

N.B.: You may normally only send for your family later to live with you in Germany in exceptional cases, e.g. if you are scholarship holder or on a postgraduate course. In these cases you must be able at least to support yourself and your family, have sufficient accomodation for your family, and already be registered at a German higher education institution.

Please take your time and do not hesitate to contact the Cultural and Consular Sections of your local Embassy for further detailed advice on any questions you may have regarding your planned studies in Germany.

3) For the visa for participation in a language course you will basically need the following documents:

  • a valid passport and 2 passport photographs
  • proof that you have registered for a language course (e.g. certificate of registration, receipt of course fees)
  • proof that you will be covered by health insurance for the duration of your stay in Germany
  • proof that you are able to finance your stay and the course (using your own funds or via third parties).


1. During the language course you are normally not allowed to take up employment.

2. If you intend to study in Germany after your course ends, please state this fact in your application, so that you can be issued with a student applicant visa or student visa, provided you fulfil the conditions for issue. These visas entitle the holder to attend language courses and to study in Germany (see above!). If you only apply for the language course visa, you will have to leave Germany at the end of the course. It is not possible to exchange this visa for another form of residence permit in Germany.

3. Examination of your application will normally require approximately 6 - 8 weeks. If the language course is longer than three months, processing of your application will require about 8 - 10 weeks. Therefore please send your application to the Consular Section in good time, i.e. at least eight weeks before you plan to travel!

Should you intend to travel to Germany with your family, please contact the Cultural or Consular Section of your local Embassy.

There is no legal right to a visa, even if all documents are submitted. The ultimate decision rests with the Legal and Consular Sections of the Embassy. You may be asked to supply further documentation.

go to Top